Image Map

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cheap and Easy DIY Christmas Ornament Storage!

We finally got around to cleaning up our Christmas decor and are starting to feel some normalcy again. Over the years we've continued to acquire more ornaments, and I've added a few DIY ones to the mix. We have finally reached the point of needing more than an old shoe box to store everything.
This is an incredibly cheap and easy way to store all your Christmas ornaments and knick-knacks. I bought the supplies last year, so I don't remember the exact amount, but it runs around $10 or less.

You can purchase the wood rod, 3/4" at Lowes or Home Depot, and find a large plastic storage bin at Target or Big Lots.

I made sure that 1/2 the length of the wood rod would be long enough to fit across the bin with some excess.  It fit perfectly, so I used my jigsaw to cut the wood rod in half.  It came to 24".

I then used my drill attachments to drill four holes in the plastic bin.  My wood rod was 3/4", so I used my 3/4" drill bit.


The two halves of the wood rod fit nice and snug into the holes.  This is perfect because I didn't want any wiggle room.


I placed my burlap tree skirt in the bottom of my bin, followed by an old wreath.  Then the hubby and I walked around the tree looping ornaments onto the two halves of the wood rod.

I got this sweet little guy from my Mom this Christmas and wanted to keep him out year round! Isn't he cute!!

Once all the ornaments are hung on the two rods just slide them back into the slots and you're all done packing!

<






The bin is still very lightweight, and there is no wiggle room for the ornaments to fall off.  Any ornaments we have that don't have a loop I just hung off one of the other ornaments.


Here they are all snug and packed away for next Christmas!


You may find that my posting is sporadic for the next few months.  The hubby and I are finally moving into a home closer to where we both work!  It's being built now and our closing date is May 24th.  I won't be completing as many projects as I did last year since we need to keep our house clean and I don't have anywhere to put new stuff now!

Here is the view of our new lot!


This is the beautiful tree line behind out property.  There is a creek not too far from our house so there will never be any homeowners behind us!  We're ecstatic!


I hope you all have had a good start to the New Year!  So far 2013 is looking good for us!

Cheers!

**UPDATE 1/2015**

Just in case you were wondering how well our ornaments held up I thought I would share our unpacking experience.  I was delighted to find that the ornaments easily slid off the dowels, making it very easy to decorate our Christmas tree.  My husband and I each took a dowel out of the bin, and within about 10 minutes all of our ornaments were hung.  There were a few ornaments that either became separated from their metal hook or were torn in half (this happened to one cheaply make ornament) but these were easily put back together.  All of our fragile ornaments were safely stored in the bottom of the container with no problems.  If you have utilized this Christmas ornament storage method I hope it has worked well for you! Cheers to a great 2015!


Photobucket I Heart Nap TimeSew ChattyPhotobucket

37 comments:

  1. Clever storage idea! And what great news! You will definitely have an exciting year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea. I never thought to hang the ornaments when storing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great storage tip, and how darn exciting about the new house. June will be a fun month for you, looking forward to seeing the touches you add to your new digs.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now your biggest fan if only because your blog name is so freakin' cool! Not to mention what an awesome idea that storage is! You. Are. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea, now they are already to go next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh Katie, how in the world do you cream up things like this? I need help from someone like you! Seriously I'm so lost when it comes to organization. I just throw everything anywhere it will fit and pray it doesn't break:) hope your having a caravels weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant idea for ornament storage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT idea! My only concern is if the ornaments are breakable...any ideas on how to prevent this from happening with the ornaments hanging so close together?

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT idea! My only concern is if the ornaments are breakable...any ideas on how to prevent this from happening with the ornaments hanging so close together?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Allison! I do have a fair amount of glass ornaments hanging. No breaks so far. It helps to place a few softer ornaments in between the breakable ones. Also, if you are using the bottom of your bin to store a tree skirt or a wreath, you could wrap your fragile ornaments with tissue paper and place them individually in the bottom. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is genius - thanks for sharing, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...This is a great idea! I've been using zip locks for my clear acrylics but the glass has been a pain securing. I'm breaking out my drill this year before pack up! This is so much easier. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks f0r the idea of storage boxes. They're really useful in terms of packing. The Custom Ornament storage boxes are also used for these purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ornament storage boxes are great to pack Christmas ornaments and other Christmas gifts and they provide us wide space to pack the Christmas and other stuff on the box easily without consuming too much space. btw thanks for the DIY they're really unique but if you guys are in a hurry and want to order readymade ornament storage boxes than you can head to customboxmakers.com. They provide high quality custom boxes at minimum rate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven’t seen such quality work in a long time. Great job! I hope that you continue to embrace your creativity and utilize it in your work for as long as possible. also check Pre Roll Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for sharing with us amazing
    https://www.navicosoft.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Nicely explained. I just adore your beautifying ideas.
    Love from Debnath Idea

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Best solution available. If you are looking best solution about packaging Click on this link and get the best information packaging

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you want to know how to fix Orbi Satellite Not Syncing? Then the Orbi Helpline is the best option for you. We are here to help you. To get instant 24*7 help, call our experienced experts on the toll-free helpline number at USA/CA: +1-855-869-7373.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your information most important for us. Thanks share your thiing with us. Hi if Your are looking best information related to this point click on this link and get the best information.
    Platform for Your Business
    Best ideas
    Tip and Trick packaging
    packaging grow business
    packaging improve business
    packaging solution

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is good and amazing. If you are looking best information about custom printed packaging click on this link. There are so many type of information avaialble.
    blank cereal boxes

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a nice and organized post.
    Best regards from Her Glories

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my, always in love with Ornament Storage.

    In case you need New Year furniture set, take a look at our site.

    "Happy New Year"

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm mesmerized by your blog, I also write about Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  26. Excellent blog. It is worth reading. Keep on posting! custom bottle neckers

    ReplyDelete
  27. When a consumer decides to buy a car, they are presented with a myriad of options within different price segments. One can choose to buy a car that costs around 5-6 lakhs if you are on a tight budget or expensive cars depending on your financial condition. In this article, we are going to take a look at the best cars under 8 lakhs in India that offer excellent value for money along with a host of comforts and features while driving. The sub 8 lakhs car segment also happens to be the busiest, so it's easy to get lost in the sea of ​​options. If you are looking for the Best Car under 8 lakhs in India, our list will tick all the right boxes.

    Best Cars Under 8 Lakhs

    ReplyDelete
  28. Who can confidently pick the best product among those listed on this site?
    Best Clout Goggles Reviews and Buying Guide

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have done a great job . keep up the good work .thanks for sharing nice information . Java Vogue have good examples on java . keep up the good work .thanks for sharing nice information.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I need someone to recommend the best product among those listed on this site?
    Best Infrared Heaters Reviews and Buying Guide

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good information about the blog. Plastic Stack & Hang Bin, Front, back, and side grips allow easy handling. Molded-in full-width rear hanger lip allows bins to hang from louvered panels or rails.

    Plastic Stack & Hang Bin, 6"W x 9-1/4"D x 5"H

    Plastic Stack & Hang Bin, 8-1/4"W x 10-3/4"D x 7"H

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think your blog will easily get the correct market because it's having the piece of content. so it can easily attract visitors.
    If you are looking to buy personalised photo magnets. Get connected with us for more details.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for sharing such a good blog, its very helpful.Base Fashion UK

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!